Saturday, March 24, 2012

day 24 - on empowerment


I’m involved with music and violin, and usually do a couple of auditions and competitions each year. I used to get really nervous to the point where I would start to shake – not exactly the best for violin. But before one of these auditions last year, my friend told me to just be fearless.

Be fearless.

Such a simple statement, and yet it really resonated with me. I thought about those words. What did I have to be afraid of? The opportunity was there. There was nothing to lose, but everything to gain.

Fearless. Such are the words to describe women’s empowerment in developing nations. Women have the potential to do anything – improve their family’s health, create a business, enact social change – if only they are given the opportunity. Education can give women this opportunity by teaching them business or vocational skills (such as weaving or embroidery) to earn a living. And by simply giving girls an education, we are taking an important step towards gender equality: by providing an education regardless of gender, not only are women recognized as important contributors to society and politics, but also, in the words of the United Nations, “free and equal in dignity and rights”.

Please read this Camfed case study about women’s potential and empowerment:

Cindy was born into a wealthy family, but by the time she was four, her parents had both died of AIDS. She moved from one extended family member’s house to another, forced to do household chores instead of attending school. “One day, I worried that this would just go on and on. I wanted to go back to school,” she says. So she left, and went to live with another aunt, who supported her dreams of getting an education. Then Camfed began supporting her. Now Cindy is nearly at the top of her high school class, and she hopes to become Zambia’s chief justice one day. “I want to provide justice for all,” she says.“It is not the end of the world to be an orphan,” she says. “It will not be the end of me. I’m a girl who has seen lots of things, and I haven’t lost my determination.”

By providing women with an education, there is nothing to lose – and everything to gain. Educated and empowered women recognize their potential. They are confident. They are the catalysts, not only to social change, but to changing the world. Please consider making a charitable donation to help empower women in rural Africa through education.

“Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.” -Marianne Williamson

“If I only get the chance, I will do something great." -Campaign for Female Education

Janna

No comments:

Post a Comment