Saturday, March 17, 2012

day 17 - resources


I wanted to share with you some of the resources I’ve been consulting for this project. I am by no means an expert on all of the topics we discuss, nor do I pretend to be; the extent of the issues is far more than I know. But that’s just the thing – if the problem of girls not getting an education is so big, then why don’t people know more about it? My purpose in doing that is exactly that: To raise awareness about women’s education by bringing the issue to the forefront of discussion, and sharing with you what I've learned.
 
If you’d like to learn more about women’s education and other issues faced by women in developing nations, please check out these resources:

"Half the Sky" – As I wrote about before, this book opened my eyes to the problems women face – and moreover, how education can truly make a difference in a woman’s life. Because this was such an insightful and influential book for me, this is where I get most of my information about the topics we discuss. Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn are amazing journalists that give a comprehensive, pragmatic explanation of these issues. If you’re interested in learning more about what we’ve discussed, this book is a great resource. (Also, PBS is making a documentary about the book, to be released in October 2012. Check out their trailer!)

Campaign for Female Education – The organization that we’re working with to help provide education to women in rural Africa. They have truly seen the value of empowering women through education. Their success stories show the organization’s thorough investment in each student (through high school to owning a business), and show the difference an education can make in the life of one girl (times 1,451,600!). 

World Bank and UNICEF – The World Bank and UNICEF both recognize the importance of educating girls to global well-being. The World Bank has an initiative that discusses breaking the poverty cycle through education, especially in especially at-risk areas such as Cambodia, Pakistan, and Mozambique, and examines these issues through objective statistics.

Global Issues – I found this website while looking for statistics on world poverty and education. Their statistics come from UNICEF, the World Bank, and United Nations Development Reports, compiled into a more comprehensive format.

The New York Times – I admire the New York Times (one of whose writers is the author of “Half the Sky”) for bringing women’s issues to the headlines. They have reported on everything from girls’ education to microfinance businesses (the link goes to this article).

I hope these resources help you as much as they’ve helped me in sharing my commitment to women’s education!

Janna

No comments:

Post a Comment