Sunday, April 1, 2012

day 31 - women's empowerment around the world, check it out! (Saturday's post)

Yesterday, as the last day of March, was technically supposed to be my last day wearing the dress – but I’d like to wear it to school for the last day, so I’ll be finishing tomorrow. But I hope to post on Tuesday and maybe in the future as well. :)

My dad and I went to the Public Market yesterday and took some pictures there. He’s taken most of the pictures for the blog (thank you!). I’m going to post a few today if that’s all right.

And that brings us to our topic: I found this interactive feature on the New York Times website titled “A Woman’s World”. It’s a fantastic collection of photographs that shows women’s empowerment in developing nations – through everything from sustainable farming initiatives to girls in scholarship programs to lending associations to microfinance businesses. Each picture offers a short amount of background information, making each scene really come alive. Please take a look and read some of the stories!

The world is a pretty big place. But it’s encouraging to see so many accounts, so many pictures, of women’s empowerment from all over the world. Women’s empowerment can take many forms – as shown through the pictures – but most of it comes from one thing: Giving a girl an education.

Janna  

No comments:

Post a Comment